CHARLOTTE. NC – The threat of Hurricane Irma is upon us in the Charlotte area. It’s expected to impact our area by Monday or Tuesday.
Although it’s only expected to be a Cat 1 or 2 by the time it reaches us, we can still have high winds and flooding in our area. That usually means that trees, especially older ones, will come down on top of power lines, knocking the power off.
Are you and your family prepared if you lose power for a few hours or even a few days? To make a stressful situation as smooth as possible, here’s a list of some important things to have in case of a disaster.
- Cash (Cash is King! no electricity = no ATM’s)
- Make sure your automobile(s) are filled with fuel. It’s even a good idea to fill your gas cans.
- Flashlights & batteries
- A 3 day supply of food & water per person (be sure to fill your bathtubs with water)
- Make sure your cell phone is charged.
- First Aid Kit
- Matches and/or lighter
- Charcoal or propane for a gas grill
- Medicine (especially for children and the elderly)
- Baby supplies (diapers, formula, extra blankets, etc)
- Masking Tape
- Can opener or an all purpose tool
- Pet food and water
It’s also important to secure any loose outdoor furniture that you may have, or anything that could get blown away. You don’t want your trash can lid flying away and smacking your neighbor in the head.
Here is a Basic Emergency Supply Kit provided by FEMA: